Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Human Face

Our face is one of the first things a person sees when they look at us. Our face is a big part of what makes ourselves "us". Different details in our face is what differentiates ourselves from others. This is why drawing faces can be very difficult. In Mark Kistlers book You Can Draw in 30 Days, Kistler shows how to capture emotions through drawing a face. 

To start, Kistler says to "trace the beautiful face, forehead, cheek, and chin
with an S-curving line" (218).




Next, I drew an outline of the nose and the eyebrow. 




Then I drew the eyes. As said in a previous post of mine, the eyes are what show the emotion and tone of the drawing. For my drawing, I decided to send out a sad and tired tone. 




Kistler then says to outline the drawings hair with s-shaped wisps of hair (219). 




I then drew the lips. Lip thickness and size depends on your preferences. To continue the tone of sadness, I pointed the lips slightly downward. 



Lastly, I shaded in shadows that are cast on her face. 

Drawing this wasnt as hard as I expected it to be. I learned that by drawing details of the face differently, for example, drawing the lips slightly upward or downward, the artist can portray different emotions through the drawing. Do you think that drawing can reveal different emotions? Do you think there is a better way to reveal different tones through a piece of art? 

Kistler, Mark. You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo, 2011. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment