Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Books Transported Her Into New Worlds

Dear friends,

I do not know how you feel about books - if you think they are overrated, if you think they are boring or you think they are necessary - but they have been my friends ever since I was a wee lass. They would always come in handy as time passed by, even in the most extraordinary circumstances - I might have hit a boy or two in the head with the book, but, hey! they deserved it! They helped time pass by quickly and they would take me to kingdoms and places far far far away - places that I first dreamt of and then even managed to visit them as I grew up... one place like that was Paris!
The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village. - Roald Dahl, Matilda
I have thought about it and I believe I have the right to say I am a bibliophile. I feel the best when I have a book next to me and I never stopped reading since my grannytaught me how to do that. At first I would read random words on the page, from one corner to another... then granny told me I should read them in straight line, well that did the trick! :) That is when books became my best friends and a year or 2 later on, I have even managed to raise money enough to buy my very own book - which was a Star Wars Episode 4-6 Romanian translation that I loved with all my heart! I remember being in kindergarden and as I was able to read before that time - as granny taught me - the leader of the kindergarden would put me up to read while she would have a small break... after a while, as a child, you get bored of it so I ran away from kindergarden and said to my granny I aint coming back! I want to go to school! Apparently I wanted to grow up fast as now I wish to be a child again, in my grandparents arms...
I bumped last year into this wonderful site called GoodReads. You can add your friends there as well ;) but fear not, this is no Facebook. The user can be a reader or it can be a writer. You can follow writers and you can see the latest books appearing, according to the categories you have selected. You can also choose to set your personal challenge for each year, when it comes to how many books you will read. As the year has 12 months I thought I would take it easy and say that I would read 1 book per month. That is decent number and I am sure I will overcome it as by this time I have already finished reading 8 books out of 12 - that is 67% challenge done and I am 6 books ahead of schedule ;)
Printscreen done Friday 28.03.2014 - today I am on my way on reading the 9th book ;)
The latest book I have finished was "The Book Thief" - Lovely book! Story told by Death itself - about a little girl who get a second chance and a second family. Timing: before and and during Second World War. A must read! It will make you cry and it will tear your heart out at the end but it is totally worth it! I wanted to finish the book before watching the movie so while at the Frankfurt Airport I managed to buy this gem. Now the movie is on my To Do List and maybe you will see my review Book VS. Movie ;) Would you like to see that? What am I reading now, you ask? Well I bought Eragon by

No comments:

Post a Comment